Monday, January 25, 2010

Cars parked in my neighborhood #2

When I went started taking pictures of this Chevrolet Monza, I noticed that there was a woman working in the yard by the side of the house. I asked her if she was the owner of the car and if it was alright if I took a few pictures (I made up some story about my family having once owned a Monza so that she wouldn't think I was crazy). It turned out that she was not the owner, but that her mother was. The mother has been sick for the last six months or so, and the car hasn't been used in all that time. I asked the woman if the car still runs. She said that it does and then offered up the additional piece of information that the car does not have power steering.
I asked if the mother was the original owner (yes) and whether the woman knew what year the Monza was from (no). The woman then started to get excited about the idea that I was some sort of collector and that this car might be valuable. I told her that I wasn't a collector and that I didn't think the car was worth all that much. Obviously, she seemed a little disappointed after that.

For more information about Chevy Monzas, click here.

For information about the Autodromo Nazionale Monza (after which the Monza is named) click here.

2 comments:

Hamster Relish said...

As you may know, my high school boyfriend drove a Monza. It, too had no power steering. I enjoyed seeing the link to Autodromo Nazionale Monza. They have a Safe Driving School. I wonder what they teach there. When I was in Italy, I did not see any safe driving.

Andy said...

I did not remember that your high school boyfriend drove a Monza, but that may explain why I had such an immediate happy reaction to seeing this one...

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History