Thursday, April 30, 2009

What I have been reading lately #25

Today I finished Charles Brandt's book "I Heard You Paint Houses": Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran & the Inside Story of the Mafia, the Teamsters, & the Last Ride of Jimmy Hoffa. This book is based upon the author's extensive interviews with Frank Sheeran, a man who worked for years for the Teamsters and certain organized crime families in eastern Pennsylvania and New York. Sheeran was very close to Jimmy Hoffa for many years in the fifties, sixties, and seventies. Sheeran is now dead, but in the book he claims to have killed Jimmy Hoffa. I won't spoil the story as to how it is supposed to have happened. You'll have to read the book. I will say this much, however-- Sheeran is the first union enforcer and Mafia hit man that I have ever heard of who moonlighted as a ballroom dance instructor.
Below: Jimmy Hoffa (left) and Frank Sheeran

There is also word that this book may be made into a movie directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Robert De Niro.

No comments:

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History