Friday, May 22, 2009

Fun at work: bears and crawdads

From this week's parent bulletin--  BEAR UPDATE:...Please talk with your children and let them know, if they ever do see a bear, to walk quietly away.  Don't run, and don't make noise.  If they think the bear has seen them, they should walk slowly backward, keeping their eye on the bear as they move away.  Running will encourage the bear to chase, so remind them never to run...

On another animal-related note--  One of my students spent this week bringing his pet crawdads (aka crawfish, aka crayfish, aka "clawfish") to school...over and over again despite my instructions to stop.  Finally I gave up and had the students do some crawdad-related activities.  A different student has now threatened to start bringing in chickens.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hmm, Chicken related activities? A deep fryer seems dangerous around the kids, but I could loan you a barbeque grill. My mother could defeather a chicken, but she sadly never passed that knowledge on to me, perhaps there is some youtube footage?

The best part? (and I have seen this myself) The best part is when you chop the chickens head off and it runs around for a little while anyway...

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History