Sunday, November 1, 2009

What I have been reading lately #38

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Fever Pitch is Nick Hornby's account of being an Arsenal fan from 1968 to 1992, when the book was written. It is definitely the best book ever written about being a sports fan; it is probably the best book ever written about sports; it may be the best book ever written. I have read it five times-- 1998, 2002, 2005, 2008, and 2009.

Since 1989, I have kept a list of all the books I have read. Here are the books I have read more than twice*:

Books I have read three times:
  • The Long Night of Francisco Sanctis by Humberto Constantini
  • My Last Sigh by Luis Bunuel
  • Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
  • Ball Four by Jim Bouton
  • Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut: Misadventures in the Counter-Culture by Paul Krassner
Books I have read four times:
  • Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
  • The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Books I have read five times:
  • Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby
* The number of books I have read twice is at least sixteen, if not more.

No comments:

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History