Monday, September 22, 2008

What I have been reading lately #7


I decided to read this book because a) I liked the title, b) I liked the cover photo, and c) I wanted to read another football fan memoir along the lines of Fever Pitch, My Favourite Year, or Believe in the Sign. The book turned out to be one-third cricket, one-third football, and one-third stories about growing up as a Jewish kid in Manchester in the fifties and sixties. I found the cricket sections to be pretty much incomprehensible (I am an American); the football parts were rather dull; the autobiographical sections were by far the best (and funniest) parts. I'd recommend this book, but if you have a better understanding of cricket than I do, you'll probably get more out of it. (As it was, I spent alot of time consulting my copy of Webster's Sports Dictionary - 1976 edition.)

No comments:

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History