Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Abandoned books/Books about hotels

I recently stopped reading Arthur Hailey's (above, holding a copy of a different one of his books) novel Hotel.  I managed to read more than sixty pages of this novel, which is set in New Orleans in the 1960s and concerns a once proud hotel that has fallen on hard times.  Hailey also wrote such classics as Airport, which spawned a series of popular movies.  Abandoning this book made me remember other books that I actually did finish and that were mostly or partially about hotels--

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Tintin in the New World by Frederic Tuten

I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal

The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving

A Riot of Our Own- Night and Day with the Clash  by Johnny Green and Garry Barker

The World of Suzie Wong by Richard Mason


1 comment:

Hamster Relish said...

I did finish "Hotel." I was in high school. I do not recall that I liked it.

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History