Sunday, August 1, 2010

What I have been reading lately #49/Abandoned books and/or movies #10

Two books that I finished:

Law of the Jungle: The Hunt for Colombian Guerrillas, American Hostages, and Buried Treasure-- John Otis
Pretty much what it sounds like-- three American contractors (spies) crash in the Colombian jungle and are captured by guerrillas from the FARC. The soldiers from the Colombian army sent out to rescue them get distracted by a large stash of money they find buried in the ground. I won't give away what happens next.

War by Candlelight-- Daniel Alarcon
Above: The cover of the US edition, which I read

Below: The much better cover of the UK edition
Daniel Alarcon is originally from Peru but apparently grew up in Alabama. This collection of short stories is written in English and is his first book. I enjoyed reading this book, but now, just a couple of weeks later, I can't remember much about it.

One book that I did not finish:

Endless Horizon: A Very Messy Motorcycle Journey Around the World-- Dan Walsh

At first I was really enjoying this, but then I wasn't. So I stopped reading it.

No comments:

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History