Sunday, June 22, 2008

What I have been reading lately #3



I recently finished reading The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes, the last of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories about the British detective. This is not very remarkable, except that it means that, after almost thirty years of on-again, off-again reading, I have read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories Conan Doyle ever wrote - all four novels and all the collections of short stories. I didn't set out to read them all, and I can't honestly say that my time was very well spent, but now I am done.

In keeping with the mystery-theme, I am now reading Janwillem van de Wetering's Death of a Hawker. It's written in the late 1970's, set in Amsterdam, and features a pair of police detectives - Grijpstra and de Gier - who are trying to solve a murder (actually several). In general, I don't really like mysteries, and I don't read them very often.



No comments:

"Hockey ought to be sternly forbidden, as it is not only annoying but dangerous." Halifax Morning Sun, quoted in Michael McKinley's Hockey - A People's History